Re: Resolution of Web Services Architecture Issues 27 and 28

From: Walden Mathews <waldenm@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 20:37:59 -0500
To: "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>, distobj@acm.org
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

> time devoted to addressing this murky question would not be well-spent.
In
> any event, the OSI reference model is *not* a normative input to this WG,
> and we consider its applicability to be mainly heuristic rather than
formal.

Sometimes you can do the right thing without resorting to formality, though.
If the WG would apply the OSI (or other equivalent) model *in earnest* to
its work, whether formally motivated or not, I would find that satisfying.

I was going through the training materials for the MCSA recently, and at
the basic level of networking I encountered, yet again the OSI model, and
was reminded of this discussion.  It's that ubiquitous; you can't just toss
it
aside on a formality.  Well, you can, but it's going to make for some bad
puzzles down the road, I think.

Is it too late to add a normative input?

Walden