RE: Label for Top Node of "triangle diagram"

Dave, my comments inline !

At 11:04 AM 9/27/2002 -0700, Dave Hollander wrote:
>Advertising - web pages advertise by being part of a hypertext
>network. If I want a search engine to find my page, I have to
>make sure it is either in its explicit listing of pages (registry)
>or linked to from a page that is.

[Ricky]
I think there are two major differences.  First one is you usually DON'T do
this EXPLICITLY (and of course, there is no guarantee that your page will
be found).  Second one is you DON'T go to centralized place to do that.

>Web services are not hypertext--there is no way to start at a
>node and explore links described at that node. Hence they need
>to advertise in some form...either by phone, email to other
>service developers or describe themselves to a well known
>mechanism (typically a registry).

[Ricky]
It has to be "exposed" in some way.  But it doesn't need to be a "central
place".  Think about the Gnutella model.

>Description - I am very interested in where and how people
>believe description happens. Is it an atomic transaction--
>fully described in one interchange--or composite? Who is
>responsible for what roles? How can you use a --cloud-- to
>find a service if the --cloud-- does not provide some description?
>Will we have to inquire directly to each service to select
>between them?  Is description narrowly defined as the data
>in WSDL or does it include UDDI concepts and others? I prefer
>the broader sense.

[Ricky]
I assume you are talking about "runtime-discover" here.  In this case, I
agree the "cloud" need to provide some metadata to look for the qualified
service provider candidate.  But whether it needs to host the WSDL is in
question.  We certainly can put the service description at the endpoint
(which I think to be outside the cloud).  Me too, I prefer a broader sense.

>"Advertising and Discovery Mechanisms" - I could live with this
>but am not afraid to use "services" either. I think we should describe
>them as services, and as we add security, management, QOS etc we
>will end up describing services. But that is a debate for a later
>day.

[Ricky]
Think about serialization/de-serialization a SOAP message to a local
object.  Can we call it "data marshalling service" ?  When we use the term
"service", it makes me (or other people as well) think that it is a remote
functionality accessible via SOAP message exchanges.  And then I would
think about performance overhead, exceptional handling ... etc, which may
be not applicable if the functionality is local.

Rgds, Ricky