Re: Intermediaries - various cases

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 23:15:28 -0400
To: Ugo Corda <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com>
Cc: "'www-ws-arch@w3.org'" <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

I'll give my 2c on this.  Good questions, BTW.

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 02:37:41PM -0700, Ugo Corda wrote:
>  Or is the publish-and-subscribe
> node the Service Provider, which engages in separate interactions with the
> subscriber nodes?

Yes, that one.

The pub/sub node is an intermediary, because it both sends and receives
messages.  But it's also the final-destination/service-provider.

There are different kinds of intermediaries; some will be final
destinations (gateways), and others will be routed-to (forward proxies
ala WS-Routing) or routed-from (reverse proxies, ala WS-Referral).

> Or is there no single answer to these questions, and it
> all depends on the logical view that I want to apply to the scenario?

There's definitely more than one way to design and/or execute a route of
nodes to achieve some goal.  But in each case, I believe all the roles
should be apparent.