Re: Words for the Triangles

From: David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:57:52 -0400
To: Heather Kreger <kreger@us.ibm.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

At 04:03 PM 9/25/2002 -0400, Heather Kreger (<HK>...</HK>) wrote:

>Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org> on 09/25/2002 02:18:47 PM
>. . .
>You were saying that you had issues finding a good way to call the
>discovery part. I have the feeling that it actually may not be easily
>described in terms of role.
>In terms of abstract entities here, there is the provider and the
>consumer. The discovery is something which happens between the two of
>them, directly or indirectly. I would therefore suggest simply talking
>about "discovery mechanisms".
><HK> So then do we have "publication mechanisms" as well? They are not
>necessarily symmetric. But what do we discover 'from'?

In the broadest case, from the Web.  But it depends on what discovery
mechanism you're using.  If you're using UDDI for example, they you're
discovering from a particular, centralized registry.  But if you're using
Google, then you're discovering from the Web, using Google as your
discovery tool.

David Booth
W3C Fellow / Hewlett-Packard
Telephone: +1.617.253.1273