Re: supporting SOAP-GET MEP (was: Re: service references)

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:04:06 -0700
To: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>, www-ws-arch@w3.org

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> "Paul Prescod" <paul@prescod.net> writes:
>
>>Plus you have a very messy relationship
>>between the SOAP-for-GET feature and the rest of the web services
>>architecture (to say nothing of the Web architecture).
>

> Why is support SOAP-GET hard to support in WS? That's just another
> way to bind an Input-Output style operation (aka MEP) in WSDL.
> Abstractly, there's nothing different between that and another way
> of doing an Input/Output operation .. the fact that its an HTTP
> GET outgoing instead of a SOAP call never really shows up at the
> programmer level.

I can't say what will and won't show up at the programmer level because
it depends on WSDL features that AFAIK are not done yet and how those
are bound into future versions of programming languages.

Here's what is messy:

Let's say I have a purchase order item/object/instance/entity/thing. If
I want to GET the item's XML representation, I use the GET MEP and
address the thing directly.

GET http://www.someobject.com/purchasing_service/purchase_orders/1

If I want to, let's say, mutate the thing, I have to do that through the
service endpoint:

POST http://www.someobject.com/purchasing_service

<soap:stuff>
    <add_item>
       <purchase_order_instance_id>1</purchase_order_instance_id>
       <item>Shoes</item>
    </add_item>
</soap:stuff>

It should be uniform. I should GET directly to the purchase order URI
and POST directly to it. I should never have to indirect through the
purchasing service URI (as is common today).

  Paul Prescod