RE: WSA constraints

I disagree. I don't think the *architecture* is constrained by the
capabilities of SOAP 1.1 and WSDL 1.1.

I also don't agree with your list of "constraints".

In particular, I doubt think that the architecture is not constrained to
client/server. Most people use Web services within the constraints of the
client/server pattern, but does the architecture constrain it that way?
Doesn't the architecture also support peer-based messaging? The SOAP 1.1
spec talks about senders and receivers. The WSDL 1.1 spec talks about four
different message exchange patterns. I gather that the original authors
never intended to constrain the architecture to client/server.

Certainly the name "service" implies client/server. Almost all SOAP
implementations are based on the client/server model (most use an app server
container model). But there's no reason why you couldn't build a
peer-to-peer communication system based on Web services technology. Do we
want to impose a client/server constraint on the architecture?

(Which raises an issue -- Heather's diagram implies client/server.)

I agree that the Web services architecture relies on / exploits "layering".
Does that constitute a "constraint"? (Constraint implies limitation. The way
Web services uses layering removes limitations.)

I agree with Dave that XML messaging is a constraint. Web services
participants communicate by passing XML messages. If two applications
communicate using anything other than XML messages, then they are not using
the Web services architecture.

Anne