Re: Long owed Description stack words

From: Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:16:43 +0100
To: Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@us.ibm.com>
CC: Heather Kreger <kreger@us.ibm.com>, www-ws-arch@w3.org, Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>

Heather, Chris,

I have some comments on your recent addition to the Architecture
document.

Jean-Jacques.

================

"(WSDL) is the de facto standard for XML based service description"

   I find it somewhat troublesome that a W3C WG (WSA)
   caracterizes what is now the work of another
   W3C WG (WSD) as "de facto standard". I know this is
   meant for WSDL 1.1, but I think we should also cater
   for WSDL 1.2.

"WSDL has been submitted to the W3C for standardization"

   It's not just been submitted, it is being actively
   worked on!

   Suggestion: add: "and is being worked on by the
   W3C Web Service Description WG."

"however, the only currently described bindings are for SOAP 1.1,
HTTP POST, and MIME."

   Suggestion: change to: "WSDL 1.1 describes the following
   bindings: SOAP 1.1, HTTP POST and MIME. WSDL 1.2 will also
   describe a SOAP 1.2 binding."

"Think of an operation like a method signature in a programming
language."

   The analogy is an over simplification and, IMO, leads the
   reader to think just in terms of RPCs instead of
   document-centric services.

"WSDL:message element is used to define the input and output
parameters of an operation."

   Again, this is an RPC only description, IMO.