RE: How to determine if an operation is synchronous

From: Ugo Corda <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:50:43 -0700
To: "'Assaf Arkin'" <arkin@intalio.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

>From a WSDL operation definition you can determine that it is:
>
>- asynchronous  The operation involves a single message (one-way and
>notification in WSDL 1.1)
>- synchronous  The operation involves two messages in opposite directions,
>and indicates that it completes after receiving one and sending the other
>(request-response and solicit-response in WSDL 1.1)

Sorry, I disagree. I believe that a request-response operation can be either
synchronous or asynchronous. The author of the IBM series of articles on
asynchronous Web services messages seems to have the same belief. Look at
[1] (part 2 of the series), Pattern 2, Request/reply operations, where he
says: "In this pattern, request and response are two messages defined within
a single request/reply operation and sent as two separate and unrelated
transport-level transmissions."

Ugo

[1] http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-asynch2/index.html