RE: Definition of Choreography

From: Mathews, Walden <walden.mathews@tfn.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 22:00:20 -0400
To: "'Paul Prescod '" <paul@prescod.net>, "'Champion, Mike '" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>
Cc: "'www-ws-arch@w3.org '" <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

>I would go further: implementation and interface are just two different
>things and years of experience indicates that keeping them separate is
>better. That separation is a _major_ reason for the whole web services
>program. That will hold true for 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 and 10.0. IMO, the W3C
>should be focused on interface.

There seems to be some confusion about what is interface and what is not,
though.  Programming languages and design tools focus on the syntax of
interface, but ignore other important interface qualities.  If slip my
car into reverse, the syntax of that interface can be expressed in terms
of shift lever motion.  There's another important aspect of the interface
between me and my car: the fact that if I tramp on the gas next, the car
is going to bolt *backwards*.  Because I put it in that state.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but it seems folks are saying that
anything that can't be seen on the command line or in the method
signatures must be "implementation".

Walden Mathews