RE: Definition of Choreography

SOAP
>> message to  receive).  Each event defines the next state.
Effectively,
>> we are defining  what are the possible message exchange sequence
without
>> describing the  internal decision making process.

>I like this idea a lot.  Can anyone sketch out an example of how one
>might
>model a little corner of one of the choreography specs using a state
>machine
>notation?

Here's a sketch of the essentials of state modeling using something
that looks phenomenally like XML to represent the concept of a Harel
statechart:

<machine>
  <state name="X">
    <next-state name="Y">
      <transition>
        <trigger>...</trigger>
        <guard>...</guard>
      </transition>
      <transition>
        <trigger>...</trigger>
        <guard>...</guard>
      </transition>
    </next-state>
    <next-state name="Z">...</next-state>
  </state>
  <state name="Y">
  </state>
</machine>

There is a collection of states, some of which are reachable from
other states.  To transition from one state to another, you must have
both a triggering event and a satisfied guard condition.  Certain
states can be tagged as "terminal", although I didn't.  Guard conditions
can be complex, so in Paul's case, the waiter's arrival may trigger
a change to the SALAD state, but if Paul hasn't finished his coffe
(the guard), then the transition doesn't take place.  (Who ever heard
of having coffer before salad?)

Does this help, or do you need to see salad and coffee mixed in
amonxt the XML tags?

Walden Mathews