RE: Definition of Choreography

David,

It seems that what you are sharing is the public interface of your
service/process. In the example described in [1], you are sharing that
the seller exposes a service that understands Order and ChangeOrder
messages and also that Change Order only makes sense after Order.

What you are not sharing is what happens when you get an Order (our
private implementation of this service): that private implementation
could be entirely manual or completely automated. It could itself
include asynchronous interactions with legacy mainframe application,
batch processing etc..

There seems to be 2 problems:
[Problem #1] How do you describe the interface of a complex service such
as the seller service described in one where a client needs to send and
receive multiple message from the service to get its result.

[Problem #2] How do you code, execute and run the back end application
that implements the public protocol implemented using problem #1.

Problem #2 is about control logic and requires a programming language.
That programming language can be expressed in XML or a script, that is
irrelevant. Standardizing that language will only offer portability
between the workflow engines that execute that language, it will *not*
increase interoperability.

Problem #1 can be solved in various ways:
- Extend WSDL so that it not only defines the port types but also the
public protocols defined
  between the port types.

- "bake" the public protocol into the interface definition of the
service. In the example described in [1]
  this option would be implemented by having the Order operation return
the uri of the ChangeOrder
  operation forcing the Order to be invoked before the change order.
[Paul Prescod posted a couple
  of email on the merit of that approach]

- Coming up with a low tech approach, where the protocol is only
available through a documentation:
  developers have to read the documentation to use the service correctly
and have to handle exceptions
  when they don't (JavaDoc ++ for web services).

There are probably many more ways to address this to.

By choreography, are we trying to solve problem #1 or problem #2?

Edwin