Re: Gateways

From: Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:58:27 +0200
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
CC: www-ws-arch@w3.org

Mark Baker wrote:
>>I think yours doesn't carry as clearly the notion that a gateway
>>terminates a message. The following sentence was certainly
>>enlightening to me: "Unlike a proxy, a[n HTTP] gateway receives
>>requests as if it were the origin server for the requested resource".
>
> Ok.  Do you want to propose an edit that would make that clearer?

How about?

<revised>
Gateway: a node that terminates a message on an inbound interface
with the intent of presenting it through an outbound interface as
a new message. Unlike a proxy, a gateway receives messages as if
it were the final receiver for the message. Due to possible
mismatches between the inbound and outbound interfaces, a message
may have some or all of its meaning lost during the conversion
process. For example, an HTTP PUT has no equivalent in SMTP.
Note: a gateway may or may not be a SOAP node; however a gateway
is never a SOAP intermediary, since gateways terminate messages
and SOAP intermediaries relay them instead. Being a gateway is
typically a permanent role, whilst being a SOAP intermediary is
message specific.
</revised>

<original>
Gateway; a node that terminates a message on an inbound interface
with the intent of presenting it through an outbound interface as
a new message.  Due to possible mismatches between the inbound
and outbound interfaces, a message may have some or all of its
meaning lost during the conversion process.  Note; gateways may
or may not be SOAP nodes, and gateways that are SOAP nodes are
not SOAP intermediaries.
</original>

Jean-Jacques.