Re: Reducing complexity

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 02:23:53PM -0500, Champion, Mike wrote:
> We might as well be arguing about the true nature of the Trinity, or the
> true heirs of the Prophet, or [pick your favorite bloody religious dispute].
> This is not about truth, it's about belief systems.

No it's not Mike, sorry.  There's something called the application
layer, and WSDL operations and HTTP methods both live there.

I can fully accept somebody acknowledging this, but then saying they
need to tunnel through HTTP POST for other reasons.  But that's not what
I'm hearing.

>  Let's PLEASE PLEASE
> stay away from the "HTTP is an application protocol not a transport
> protocol" issue.  Mark, if you want the TAG to slap WSA's wrists about it,
> go for it!  [But wear your flamesuit when you do :-) ]

I'm still waiting for you guys to shoot down my issue so I can do that!

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-wsa-comments/2002Nov/0001

Either you have to shoot that down so that I can raise an issue with the
TAG, or you have to request that the TAG review the Arch doc.  Either
one works for me, though I suggest the latter would be better for the
WG, as you'd be seen to be generally interested in the opinions of the
TAG members.

> My canonical plea from my side of the co-chair is that we need to focus on
> what unites us, not what separates us.  URIs everywhere, and the web method
> support in SOAP, and the goal of minimizing the disconnect between "the web"
> and "web services" are RESTful things we can all live with.  Of course, we
> can't ignore the trout flopping out of the ponds forever, and some things
> like "what is the role of SOAP and WSDL in the canonical definition of a web
> service" *are* on the table.  But intractable religious disputes are not.

Yah yah, I know. 8-) What can I say, sometimes things really are black
and white.

Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.   http://www.markbaker.ca

   Will distribute objects for food