Re: Issue on WS-Security and WSDL definitions

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 19:16:59 -0500
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

(to www-ws-arch only)

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 03:47:24PM -0800, David Orchard wrote:
> As a best practice, members
> of theweb services architecture group believe that WSDL definitions should
> be part of any specification of SOAP Modules.

I didn't follow the WS-Security discussion, but having just read this
liason message, I'm quite confused by the text I quoted above.  Does
anybody have an example of a SOAP module that needs a WSDL definition?

The latest editor's draft of the SOAP 1.2 spec, part 1, defines a module
as;

"[...]the set of syntax and semantics associated with implementing a
particular feature (see 3.1 SOAP Features) as SOAP header blocks[...]"

which, to me, is a completely different thing than a software component
with a network interface which needs describing.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.   http://www.markbaker.ca

   Will distribute objects for food