RE: good design vs evolveability (was TAG "Architecture of the W orld Wide Web" new draft published)

Mike,

Shirky had one interesting phrase at the end "In 5 years, DVD, HDTV,
voice-over-IP, and Java will all be able to interoperate because of some new
set of protocols which, like HTTP and HTML, is going to be weak, relatively
unco-ordinated, imperfectly implemented and, in the end, invincible"

So, is this protocol he mentions XML or is this protocol SOAP?

Cheers,
Dave