Latest cut at ws-arch to oasis ws-security tc on wsdl defs

From: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 09:50:22 -0800
To: <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

Please review the following, your comments welcome but also hopefully this
will be the last version before it goes to the oasis ws-security tc.

Dear OASIS WS-Security TC,

The W3C Web Services Architecture Working Group would like to express its
concern around the lack of WSDL definitions for WS-Security elements in the
first version of the WS-Security product.  As a best practice, members of
the
web services architecture group believe that WSDL definitions should be part
of any specification of SOAP Modules.  We would like to encourage the
WS-Security group to take up this piece of work in the first version of its
product.  It appears that the issue is not so much the "goodness" of such a
thing, rather the timing is the issue.  There are a variety of rationale for
including description in v1: 1) To ensure that the runtime aspects can be
described in a reasonable manner - it would be unfortunate if some headers
were difficult to describe in wsdl; 2) To promote interoperability.  The
importance of WSDL for interoperability is evident by the prominent place
that WSDL has in the W3C Web Services Activity and the WS-I Basic Profile.

We were made aware of the significant range of possible description.  We
don't think it appropriate to venture into your domain and make a
recommendation as the extent of descriptions that should be provided
- such as trusted authorities, etc.However, it is of our opinion,
though we could easily be mistaken, that a simple description of the
required WS Security elements in a given message is probably
doable in a reasonably short time frame.  We are certainly not advocating
a large (year or more) delay in schedule.

On behalf of the W3C Web Services Architecture Working Group,
Dave Orchard