From: Mark Baker [mailto:distobj@acm.org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 3:16 PM
To: Eric Newcomer
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: Re: Web services and CORBA

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 02:33:11PM -0400, Eric Newcomer wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I'm still looking for the solution to my problem of a standard mapping
onto
> transaction-aware objects, programs, and databases ;-)

Previously, you said that mapping meant "mapping to an executable
program".  Hypertext maps to executable programs by binding an app to
some portion of a local URI namespace, where method invocations on those
resources are dispatched to that app.

You can add transactional capabilities, or reliability capabilities,
or name-your-own-new-thing to those apps by designing extensions which
are communicated via extension headers and/or extension methods.  Your
app, the one bound to some set of resources, gets those messages and
acts upon them.

So you could define a transaction header that your resources would
receive whenever a transactional PUT or POST request arrived.  And
they could take this information, and map it to some TM or DB
transactional context, etc..  It's not quite that straightforward,
because of some of the problems we discussed earlier about ACID, but
that's the basic idea behind one possible approach.

Is that what you were asking?  I have to admit to being confused by
your terminology.