Re: Web services and the Semantic Web

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 17:46:51 -0400
To: Eric Newcomer <eric.newcomer@iona.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Sorry, I should have responded to this directly.

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 01:45:00PM -0400, Eric Newcomer wrote:
> My view is that we need to develop a Web services reference architecture
> based on adapting distributed computing concepts to the Web architecture --

The Web is already well adapted to distributed computing concepts, far
beyond what CORBA et al are adapted to.  It "solves" (i.e. adequately
addresses) many of the problems that predecessor architectures
encountered, which is most of the reason why it was deployed on the
Internet and the others weren't; it was designed to be.

Could you explain your statement above further please?  What makes you
think that the Web isn't already well adapted to "distributed computing
concepts"?