Web services and the Semantic Web

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 22:24:54 -0400
To: Eric Newcomer <eric.newcomer@iona.com>
Cc: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>, www-ws-arch@w3.org
Eric,

On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 08:27:12PM -0400, Eric Newcomer wrote:
> I realize there's a difference of opinion over the relative importance of
> the Web services activity and the semantic Web activity, but I also do not
> think recasting WSDL in RDF helps bridge that gap.  The differnce is
> philosophical, not technical IMHO.

IMO, it's exactly the opposite.  There are excellent technical reasons
for choosing the Semantic Web.  The problem is, it's impossible for
somebody to understand these reasons unless they first understand how
the Web works.  That is the essence of the divide between these two
camps, in my experience.

FWIW, I recently wrote this for the XMLP WG.  I just beefed up the
bit at the end about the Semantic Web;

http://www.markbaker.ca/2002/05/GettingStuffDoneOnTheWeb/

> The semantic Web activity to me appears
> more concerned with ontology and categorization than mapping, which is what
> Web services are all about.  And how does RDF relate to mapping?

What do you mean by "mapping"?