RE: D-AC009.2 discussion points and proposal(s)

From: Katia Sycara <katia@cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 16:54:47 -0400
To: David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>, "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>, wsawg public <www-ws-arch@w3.org>
David,
 +1
 --Katia

-----Original Message-----
From: www-ws-arch-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-arch-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of David Booth
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 4:48 PM
To: Champion, Mike; wsawg public
Subject: RE: D-AC009.2 discussion points and proposal(s)

(Just so that this message is not misunderstood, I am not objecting to
Chris's currently proposed wording for D-AC009.2, because I believe the
issue is more relevant to the resulting Working Groups and technologies
than the Architecture WG itself.  However I do want to point out one thing
for the benefit of future decisions . . .  )

At 02:00 PM 5/21/2002 -0400, Champion, Mike wrote:
>the WS requirements should be
>driving the SW requirements rather than vice versa.

I think it would be very dangerous to reverse the requirement like
that.  Web Services is important, but it isn't more important than the Web
as a whole.  The Semantic Web is just the incremental advancement of the
Web as a whole to be more useful.  (Specifically, to enable you to find,
share and combine information much more easily.)  It isn't a separate Web
application.

Web Services needs to work with the Web -- not the other way around.  If we
were to turn the requirement around, then we would risk Web Services
fracturing or inhibiting the Web as a whole, which would be very bad indeed.

--
David Booth
W3C Fellow / Hewlett-Packard