Re: D-AR009.3 discussion points

I can live with the proposed phrasing at the bottom.

Heather Kreger
Web Services Lead Architect
STSM, SWG Emerging Technology
kreger@us.ibm.com
919-543-3211 (t/l 441)  cell:919-496-9572
---------------------- Forwarded by Heather Kreger/Raleigh/IBM on
05/22/2002 10:25 AM ---------------------------

Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>@w3.org on 05/21/2002 10:53:07 PM

Sent by:    www-ws-arch-request@w3.org

To:    Christopher Ferris <chris.ferris@sun.com>
cc:    wsawg public <www-ws-arch@w3.org>
Subject:    Re: D-AR009.3 discussion points

My 2c on this one ...

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 01:34:35PM -0400, Christopher Ferris wrote:
> D-AR009.3
> "All conceptual elements should be addressable directly via a URI
reference."

> HP: This belongs under D-AC011

Agreed.

> IBM: Should say 'identifiable' instead of 'addressable'

Sure, that works for me.

> PF: I would prefer that URIs, rather than URI references, be used.  Also,
this should probably be
> relocated to D-AC-011.
>
> CVX: I'm not quite sure I understand what this means, but at least it
says "should".  I would be
> happier if this were a bit softer, as in "An effort should be made to
make conceptual elements
> addressable by URI's".  I don't like having requirements that sound to me
like they might be
> impossible.  It is reasonable to accept such risk in a research project,
but less so in this sort of
> WG.

Identifying things with URIs is a really easy and cheap thing to do, as
long as you're able to give them some semblance of persistence.  I
personally think that "should" is fine; if it really is too much of a
burden for you, then don't.  Otherwise, do.

So how does "All conceptual elements should be identifiable directly via
a URI" sound?