From: Champion, Mike [mailto:Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com]
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 2:30 PM
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: Non-Repudiation - A Lower Level?

-----Original Message-----
From: Edgar, Gerald [mailto:gerald.edgar@boeing.com]
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 1:24 PM
To: 'Krishna Sankar'; www-ws-arch@w3.org; 'Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)'

Krishna - What Rodger was discussing is more than auditing. There needs to
be a mechanism, not only to track (as in auditing) but to require a process
that has some controls over it to provide the business some assurance that a
request was not made by accident. This would be similar to simply signing a
document. Below a certain dollar amount of transaction, there is no need for
third party overview for non-repudiation.

This sounds like a web services application.   Perhaps there is a need for
web services standards so that such applications can interoperate.But it's
unclear to me why the web services architecture has a requirement to define
non-repudiation mechanisms at this level.