RE: Non-Repudiation - A Lower Level?

I didn't quite understand this.  Maybe I should ask the obvious:  Exactly
what is auditing?  If it is simply making lists of what has happened that
can be viewed later, I don't think that's exactly what is required here.  As
I think is illustrated in the first message in this thread, what you need is
the ability to generate a "convincing" (but not necessarily completely
legally invulnerable) display that shows something like:

1 - Here is the message we sent on Mar 23.  It has the following envelope
and contains the following data.
2 - Here is your confirmation that you received the message on Mar 23, and
it is clear that your confirmation refers to the same message as displayed
in step 1 and that the confirmation actually came from you.

When I say "not necessarily completely legally invulnerable" I guess I mean
that it is not necessary to be able to prove that it is absolutely
impossible that the displays discussed above were forged by some criminal
with huge computing resources.  It probably is necessary, however, for the
demonstration to be pretty convincing.  That is, the person who receives the
demonstration should be able to look at it and say something like, "Yup,
that's our signature all right, and because this number on the confirmation
is the same as that number on the original message, I can see that the
confirmation really does refer to that message".

One other thing.  I suppose that if you had various auditing listings one
could say something like, "OK, if you compare this list to that list and
cross-reference this other list, you will find that ..."  Maybe there is
some sort of complex process like that -- but you need a way to make a
SIMPLE, convincing display -- because these goofups happen ALL THE TIME!