FW: A priori requirement

I should have copied initially...

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Baker [mailto:distobj@acm.org]
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 1:17 PM
To: Narahari, Sateesh
Cc: joel.d.munter@intel.com
Subject: Re: A priori requirement

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 08:43:40AM -0600, Narahari, Sateesh wrote:
> So, are you suggesting something like "IUnknown" and the methods to be
>
> QueryInterface, AddRef and Release
>
> The second well known interface may be something like "IDispatch" and the
> methods are
>
>  Invoke(), GetIDSOfNames() etc
>
> :-)

That's one possibility, though it doesn't go as far as I was thinking
we could go.  QueryInterface just lets you know if an interface is
implemented.  You're still out of luck (as far as being able to use
the service) unless you expect a specific interface to be implemented,
and that requires some sort of a priori knowledge about that object.

BTW, if you meant to send this to www-ws-arch, feel free to forward
this response there.