From: B Cookson [mailto:bcookson42@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2002 6:32 AM
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: Re: RFC: Attributes and XML-RPC

In responce to discussion based on:

*	From: "John Tigue" <john.tigue@tigue.com>

*	To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>

*	Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 09:17:49 -0700

Perhaps my memory fails me but I clearly remember being in

a SOAP meeting at Microsoft where a very wrong headed gentleman

from Redmond (name withheld to protect the confused)

responding to my question "why no attributes". One high

profile XML guy from Microsoft who was present at the

meeting was taken aback by the decisions made. The first

gentleman expressed the opinion that attributes in general were

an unnecessary redundancy in the XML spec and he would have

nothing to do with them in SOAP.

OK, not supporting attributes makes SOAP simpler in some ways.
But<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
/>

given a data or document centric Web Services model I define by Web

Service with WSDL / XML schema.  So, according to SOAP spec, I simply do

not use attributes.  This is great when I create a schema from scratch,

but the problem I have is often I want to use existing schema already in

common use for the type of data my Web Service is dealing with.  For

example I want to build a MyData Web Service to pass around messages with

MyData documents.  But the pre-existing MyData schema uses attributes

which are lost when sent via Web Service frameworks.

This does not simplify, this create a problem that I must invent a new

redundant schema only because the message communication system (SOAP) does
not support attributes although the business processes on either side do.

Must I create a special "transport within SOAP schema?" which encodes
attributes as elements?  How are people currently dealing with this

problem?

--Bennett Cookson

  _____

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo!  <http://rd.yahoo.com/welcome/*http://shopping.yahoo.com> Shopping -
Mother's Day is May 12th!

***********Confidentiality/Limited Liability Statement***************

Have the latest business news and in depth analysis delivered to your
desktop. Subscribe to "Insights", Deloitte's fortnightly email
business bulletin . . .

http://www.deloitte.com.au/preferences/preference.asp

This message contains privileged and confidential information intended
only for the use of the addressee named above.  If you are not the
intended recipient of this message, you must not disseminate, copy or
take any action in reliance on it.  If you have received this message
in error, please notify Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu immediately.  Any
views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
Deloitte.

The liability of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, is limited by, and to the
extent of, the Accountants' Scheme under the Professional Standards
Act 1994 (NSW).

The sender cannot guarantee that this email or any attachment to it
is free of computer viruses or other conditions which may damage or
interfere with data, hardware or software with which it might be used.
It is sent on the strict condition that the user carries out and relies
on its own procedures for ensuring that its use will not interfere with
the recipients systems and the recipient assumes all risk of use and
absolves the sender of all responsibility for any consequence of its use.