RE: D-AC020.1 discussion points

> From: Hugo Haas [mailto:hugo@w3.org]
[snip]
> >       A service provider MUST disclose its privacy policies
> >       in manners
> >       that can be easily understood by the consumers.  In
> >       the absence
> >       of such disclosure, a consumer (of the service) SHOULD assume
> >       that neither the service nor its provider furnishes
> >       any privacy policy.
>
> A few comments about this:
>
> - "in manners that can be easily understood": this may be vague.
>
> - I think that I agree with Roger when he says that the first MUST is
>   too strong. While we should definitely encourage the advertising of
>   privacy policies, it should be OK to have a Web service without any,
>   e.g. if it is internal to an organization. SHOULD sounds better to
>   me.

Hugo, BTW, the "MUST" stems from the "must advertise" in your original.

> - While I agree with the second sentence, I think that it is too
>   detailed for the requirements document and should go into the
>   architecture document.

As I expressed in another message, the second sentence will
be unnecessary if the first one is downgraded from MUST/must.
Of course, this is not to be taken as an argument against
downgrading the MUST in the first sentence.

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless service