Re: comments on Web Services architecture requirements. ( D-AC009 )

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 14:30:13 -1000
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Cc: "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org>
* Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org> [2002-05-03 16:57-0400]
[..]
> > D-AR009.2 All recommendations produced by the working group include a
> > normative mapping between all XML technologies and RDF/XML.
> >
> > D-AR009.3 All conceptual elements should be addressable directly via a URI
> > reference
>
> I'm not sure where the editors got those.  I, as champion, didn't see
> them raised.

They come from the Semantic Web presentation done at the face-to-face
meeting[1].

> 9.2 seems to be a stronger version of 9.1.  I'm not sure I like it,
> for two reasons; one, producing these mappings can be tough.  And
> two, our work product is a reference architecture, not a particular
> technology or set of technologies.

At our level, what it means is that we would require new technologies
that we would identify to:
- have all conceptual elements addressable directly via a URI
  reference.
- provide a normative mapping to RDF.

Rereading D-AR009.2, I realize that it isn't right. I think that Eric
meant:

  New technologies identified in the architecture must include a
  normative mapping between all XML technologies and RDF/XML.

Regards,

Hugo

  1. http://www.w3.org/2002/Talks/0408-ws-f2f-sweb/
--