RE: Summary: D-G0017

> OK by me, but I have to admit that I don't understand the distinction that you are making.

Perhaps an example may help.
Standardizing protocols and formats in computing is like standardizing the
gauges and threads of the inlets and outlets of oil pumps.
Standardizing mechanisms in computing is not unlike telling manufacturers
that standard oil pumps are to be driven by electric motors only, which will
apparently stymie innovative efforts in developing alternative means to
drive oil pumps, like combustion engines that burn natural gas recaptured
in oil fields on-site.

[snip]
> My background is physics, which has a strong tradition of
> using simple words when possible, so bear with me ...

Physicists are accused of many things.  "A strong tradition of using
simple words" is not of them. :-)  I don't think so, unless one considers
cryptic terms like "entropy" or "tactical thermal application" simple.
I'm a believer that simplicity is good, but over-simplicity is not.
(Wasn't it that your physics brethren Einstein who once said, "whatever
can be made simple should be made simple, but not simpler?" :-)
Anyway, simplicity has little to do with discerning "protocol" from
"mechanism" in our context.  The two words simply mean two
different things.

Cheers,

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless service