D-AG0020 Privacy (was Re: WS Privacy)

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:39:25 -0500
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Cc: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
[ I am hereby claiming number 0020 for the privacy goal; it seems that
  nobody used it until now. ]

Following up on Rigo's email, I would like to try and summarize the
privacy discussion by proposing the following goal:

  enables privacy protection of the consumer of a Web service across
  domains and services.

This is the goal that I proposed earlier[1] in the thread, and I think
that Rigo answered Joe's concerns[2].

Borrowing from Rigo's email, I would list the following critical
success factors:

  - Is it possible for a service consumer to know the privacy policies
    of the service provider(s) that it is going to deal with?
    (a.k.a. hooks for P3P)

  - Data provision during Web services transactions should be
    minimized.
    (in order to avoid consumer tracking)

As noted before in this tread, D-AG0020 is related no AG0006 since
confidentiality is part both of security and privacy.

Regards,

Hugo

  1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Mar/0336.html
  2. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Mar/0341.html