Re: D-AG0009; Semantic Web & Web architecture

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:33:33 -0500 (EST)
To: RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com ("Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)")
Cc: Suresh_Damodaran@stercomm.com ('Damodaran Suresh'), Austin.D@ic.grainger.com ('Austin Daniel'), michael.mahan@nokia.com ('michael.mahan@nokia.com'), www-ws-arch@w3.org

> I am not aware of any fundamental inconsistency between the goal of using
> the web for business purposes and those of the semantic web.  Frankly, I
> would be surprised and disappointed if the semantic web goals were in some
> way incompatible with using the web for business.  If there are any such
> inconsistencies I agree that they should be documented.

Thanks Roger, that's exactly what I was thinking.

The Semantic Web is even useful for addressing many "business goals"
(thanks for the clarficiation, Suresh), as I understand them.  For
example, security, in the form of ACLs, is often entirely built upon
assertions.  SAML (Security Assertion Markup Language) is all
about assertions, although it doesn't reuse any Semantic Web
technologies.