Re: D-AG0019 [RE: D-AG0007.1- defining reliable and stable WS ]

Hi Suresh.

* Damodaran, Suresh <Suresh_Damodaran@stercomm.com> [2002-03-21 17:42-0600]

[..]
> Can WS-A define what constitutes reliability? Probably yes. Can WS-A require
> certain reliability for all its implementations? I would say no.

Service reliability is a fuzzy term in my head. As you pointed out,
reliability can crop up at different levels: service availability
(service level), reachability (messaging level), etc.

Requiring reliability seems unreasonable indeed.

In order to define reliability, I would have a look into reliable
messaging, which would be a messaging mechanism which would guarantee
the use of a service under certain terms.

I am basically unsure that we can separate the reliability of a Web
service and the reliability of the use/invokation of a Web service.

Service reliability as I would understand it would merely be, as Mark
was discussing it[2], about careful maintenance of Web resources:
advertisement of availability (e.g. use of HTTP's 503 error code[3]),
relocation (e.g. 301[4]), discontinuation (e.g. 410[5]), etc. Note
that we could have something in the architecture document recommending
such behaviors.

Regards,

Hugo

  2. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Mar/0363.html