RE: WS Privacy [Was RE: Status of D-AG006]

From: Edgar, Gerald [mailto:gerald.edgar@boeing.com]
[snip]

> I can not address legal issues, since governing law varies from place to
> place. I see privacy as a subclass of confidentiality- protection from
> unauthorized attempts to read data.

As I said during the first mention of Privacy in the security
threads, protecting the privacy of data from unintended
readership pertains to Confidentiality, which is of security.
 (The security primitive for addressing Confidentiality is Encryption.)
The rest are non-security-related Privacy.  (There's in fact no known
security primitive to address any of them.)

I too am of the opinion that how data is treated by apps
should be ruled out of scope, though I'd always keep my mind
open to new revelations about Privacy pertaining to the WG's
goals, including the one newly proposed by Hugo.

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless company
================================

 ]ty,

 Privacy consists of the right of an entity, normally a person, acting in
 their own behalf, and how much it will interact with its environment. The
 entity determines how much information to share.

 This also has implications for web services in how to keep web services
 confidential, this should be part of security. How the data is treated in
 the application using web services is I think beyond the scope of the
 architecture group

 Gerald W. Edgar <gerald.edgar@boeing.com>
 Architecture support, BCA Architecture and e-business
 425-234-1422

 Mailing address:
 The Boeing Company, M/S 6H-WW
 PO Box 3707, Seattle, WA 98124-2207