Re: Status: D-AG0007 - reliable, stable, predictable evolution

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:29:41 -0500
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
* Damodaran, Suresh <Suresh_Damodaran@stercomm.com> [2002-03-14 17:48-0600]
> Good point.
> "reliability, stability, and predictable evolution of web services
> technology"
> is the non-goal that I referred to below, which we should make a goal.
>
> "reliability, stability, and predictable evolution of web services
> standards"
> is the goal that was addressed in the proposal for D-AG0007.
> Why?
>  Because, web service architecture = framework of web services standards

I think that the third option (option 1 in her email) that Anne was
raising deserves attention:

* Anne Thomas Manes <anne@manes.net> [2002-03-14 16:46-0500]
> When we say "reliability, stability, and predictable evolution of web
> services" are we talking about the services themselves or the technology
> used to implement them, or perhaps the standards underneath the technology?
> Perhaps we need to say, "reliability, stability, and predictable evolution
> of web services technology" or "reliability, stability, and predictable
> evolution of web services standards"?

I am cathing up on lots of threads, no I will ask the following: has
"reliability, stability, and predictable evolution of [..] the
services themselves" been discussed?

What I have in mind is a service making use of others and therefore
having a dependency on different services which have a particular
version. One might say that the identifier for the service should
change because it can be considered as a different service, but I
guess that it's already part of the discussion about how to address
the problem.

Regards,

Hugo

--