From: Damodaran, Suresh [mailto:Suresh_Damodaran@stercomm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 9:59 AM
To: 'Hao He'; www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: D-AG0007.1- defining reliable and stable WS [was RE: Status:
D-A G0007 - reliable, stable, predictable evolution]

Hao,

I am considering the goal
"reliable, stable, and predictably evolvable web services" as D-AG0007.1
till we get a formal number for it. I volunteer to be the champion of this
goal
(unless somebody else (do you want to be?) wants it, that is:-)

Let us be clear on the terms "reliable" and "stable" (www.dictionary.com)
re·li·a·ble   Pronunciation Key  (r-l-bl)
adj.
	Capable of being relied on; dependable: a reliable assistant; a
reliable car.
	Yielding the same or compatible results in different clinical
experiments or 	statistical trials.
sta·ble   Pronunciation Key  (stbl)
adj. sta·bler, sta·blest

Resistant to change of position or condition; not easily moved or disturbed:
a house built on stable ground; a stable platform.
Not subject to sudden or extreme change or fluctuation: a stable economy; a
stable currency.
Maintaining equilibrium; self-restoring: a stable aircraft.
Enduring or permanent: a stable peace.

Consistently dependable; steadfast of purpose.
Not subject to mental illness or irrationality: a stable personality.
Physics. Having no known mode of decay; indefinitely long-lived. Used of
atomic particles.
Chemistry. Not easily decomposed or otherwise modified chemically.

Note that stability does not necessarily imply reliability - let us say that
a phone doesn't
work for 6 months - its situation is stable, but cannot be relied upon for
phone calls within that period!
Again, reliability does not necessarily imply stability - My phone number
could change every week - as long as the new number is reliably available
from the old number - reliability
of "reaching me by phone" is guaranteed.

My view of reliability & stability w.r.t. WS is as follows. Please critique
these definitions
to get the bugs out of them.

Reliable - A WS is reliable as long as accessing (SD: a very "loaded" term
here) a WS is guaranteed under clearly specified conditions to all potential
users.

Defining stability is tricky. I am looking to see what in WS world would
require to be
most stable and under what force field, and how a change to that would be
resilient. "WS implementation" is my candidate for this under the "force
field" of Independent specification. ("the best implementation is a ball -
you push it, it never falls:-)")

Stable - A WS is stable as long as any change in WS implementation conforms
to the independent specification (say WSDL) of the WS for all potential
users. Note that the specification of WSDL could change, and as long as all
users/service requesters are
"aware"/notified of it.

Note again that a stable WS does not mean a reliable WS. A WS implementation
could be stable in an erroneous way ( thus not reliable).
Similarly, we can have a reliable WS (for some "preferred service
requesters" who happen to know the new access point of the WS) that is not
stable (to those service requesters who did not know that new the access
point!).
On the other hand, if a WS is not stable, there is a good chance it is also
not reliable.
(btw, I have to thank a Model theory expert colleague who assured me that I
am not
contradicting myself here in any way!)

My comments are inline,
and thanks for your response.