W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-ws-arch@w3.org > March 2002

Minutes of the 7 March teleconferences

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:53:11 -0500
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Message-ID: <20020314215311.GA22664@jibboom.w3.org>
... are available at:


Text dumps follows.




                    Web Services Architecture Working Group
                          07-Mar-2002 meeting minutes

              [1]Working Group home page  [2]Meeting records



          Ayse Dilber

   BEA Systems
          David Orchard

          Roger Cutler

          Yin-Leng Husband

          Kevin Perkins

   Computer Associates
          Igor Sedukhin

          Dave Hollander

   CrossWeave, Inc.
          Timothy Jones

          Marcel Jemio

   Digital Island
          Joseph Hui

          Mike Ballantyne

          Nilo Mitra

          Eric Newcomer

   Intalio Inc
          Bob Lojek

   Intel Corporation
          Sharad Garg

   Intel Corporation
          Joel Munter

   MITRE Corporation
          James Davenport

   MITRE Corporation
          Paul Denning

          Glen Daniels

   Microsoft Corporation
          Allen Brown

   Microsoft Corporation
          Henrik Nielsen

          Michael Mahan

   Nortel Networks
          Abbie Barbir

   Oracle Corporation
          Jeff Mischkinsky

   Planetfred, Inc.
          Mark Baker

          Sinisa Zimek

   SeeBeyond Technology Corp
          Alan Davies

   Software AG
          Michael Champion

   Sterling Commerce(SBC)
          Suresh Damodaran

   Sun Microsystems, Inc.
          Doug Bunting

   Sun Microsystems, Inc.
          Chris Ferris

   Sun Microsystems, Inc.
          Mark Hapner

          Anne Thomas Manes

   W. W. Grainger, Inc.
          Daniel Austin

   W. W. Grainger, Inc.
          Tom Carroll

          Hugo Haas

   webMethods, Inc.
          Prasad Yendluri


          Mike Brumbelow

          Don Robertson

   Hewlett-Packard Company
          Dorothea Beringer

   Hewlett-Packard Company
          Zulah Eckert

          Srinivas Pandrangi

          Steve Vinoski

          Alex Cheng

   Sybase, Inc.
          Himagiri Mukkamala

   The Boeing Company
          Gerald Edgar

   Waveset Technologies
          Darran Rolls

   XQRL Inc.
          Tom Bradford


          Radhika Roy

   Artesia Technologies
          Dipto Chakravarty

   Carnegie Mellon University
          Katia Sycara

   Cisco Systems Inc
          Sandeep Kumar

   Cisco Systems Inc
          Krishna Sankar

   DaimlerChrysler Research and Technology
          Mario Jeckle

   DaimlerChrysler Research and Technology
          Hans-Peter Steier

          Waqar Sadiq

   France Telecom
          Shishir Garg

          Jim Knutson

          Heather Kreger

          Tom Jordahl

   Software AG
          Nigel Hutchison

   T-Nova Deutsche Telekom Innovationsgesellschaft
          Jens Meinkoehn

   VeriSign, Inc.
          Michael Mealling

   XQRL Inc.
          Daniela Florescu


   See [3]agenda posted by the Chair.

Detailed minutes

  2. Agenda review, and AOB


Chris: Krishna's not here, trying to map out F2F schedule for next few months.

  3. Approval of February 21 & 28 Feb telcon minutes


  Review of outstanding action items

     * 20020221 ACTION: Hugo: Will add link from our public home page;
     * 20020221 ACTION: Dave Hollander to start an issues list; DONE
     * 20020221 ACTION: Dave Hollander Will draft a process for handling
       issues; DONE

ACTION: DanielA: post issues list into CVS repository and post pointer to it

  5. Status

        - WS-CG report

No meeting this week, postponed until hopefully next week.

        - Editing team report

Daniel's report:

  Met Wednesday.

  Comments list started.  Getting new issues editors on board.
  Discussed current doc.

  Timelines for getting things done.... working backwards from
  publishing at end of April.

  Apr 1 publish for f2f, second publishing cycle on Apr 15, followed
  by comments cycle and hopefully publish draft at end of April

  Editing tasks were divided up

  6. "What is a web service?" definition

Chris recaps the story so far.  Slight differences from version in the
req'ments doc.

Prasad: what is the real purpose of answering this question now?  Is
it premature to answer this before we go further defining the apects
which shape the architecture?

Chris: the intent is to have something that's reasonable ("close
enough") to put in the req. doc, which will be revisited later.  It's
a work in progress.

Eric: It's important to keep going, this is fine for now.

(various +1s)

Jeff: Once this is done, you can almost throw it away...

Daniel:  Disagree, this will help us a lot, but we're done with it now.

DaveO: URIs are in the definition now, this is good.  There's been discussion,
and that's good.  Also, people have reviewed the charter, which is good.
Comfortable with moving on, though there are a few tweaks I'd make.

Chris : POLL - any objection to publishing this in the req doc as a
working definition?

Suresh: delete the word "direct"

Glen: change it to "programatic"?

[some discussion, ending with Suresh removing his objection for now]


ACTION: Editors: include definition of web service and make it clear
that it is an interim working definition and may change over time

  7. Glossary Terms

Chris summarizes the situation.

Chris: Any objection to incorporating these?


ACTION: Editors: include glossary definitions

  8. Process

Chris : We should be assigning champions to the various goals we have,
members willing to drive discussion on these issues forward.

(discussion - March 4th editors draft is current)

Mike: I feel rather fated to be a "Champion" (:)), so I'll volunteer for 5

Dave O: Volunteer for 10

Joe : #6 (security)

Daniel : #2 (modularity)

JeffM : #1

Daniel : #1A

Nilo : #3

Abbie : #4

Suresh : #7

TimJ : #8

MarkB : #9

MikeM : #11

PaulD : #12

Hugo : #13

DougB : #14

DavidO : #15

Yin Leng : #16

Champions should:

Review what the goal currently says, start a cleary ID'ed email thread
which asks for discussion around each of these goals, collect feedback,
present proposal at next week's telcon

Dave : post status by Tuesday so it's easy to find?

Chris : Will generate agenda after getting these

Doug: How do we resolve crossover between goals?

Daniel: Don't worry about it until we've got things better defined, and
we know what the overlap is more precisely.

(discussion of formats)

Daniel : Let's publish in HTML.

ACTION: DanielA: Post HTML of current requirements doc by EOB today

ACTION: ChrisF: Annotate requirements document with names for each
goal (see earlier action items)

  9. Refine goals and objectives

Chris: let's try to hash these out a little here

- DAG0001 - reference framework (see thread at [8])

Chris: This should be 1A, I think

Dave : basic idea is framework where we can build assurance, but not
define assurance ourselves.  We provide a well-defined enough spec that
you can build a conformance suite around it - shouldn't be underspecified.

Daniel: If we define a reference architecture, it's for defining conformance.

Dave : shouldn't force action for non-conformance

Daniel : +1, "assure" is too strong a word

- DAG0005 - simplicity and ease-of-use (see thread at [9])

Mike: this is not unacheivable, despite discussion to the contrary.  As
Tim Bray has pointed out, even though it might be hard to define, it's
useful to have in there.  Re: ease-of-use, can't see how a ref. arch. could
control ease of use of products

Roger: Two different "simplicity" metrics, and we get mixed up between the two.
Architectural simplicity, then simplicity of use of the web service.  both are

Chris: new "ease of use" goal, separate from "architectural simplicity",
w/Roger as champion?

?? - Two classes of user - people reading the doc, and people implementing web
services.  Should make life easy on both.

Mike: Let's definitely not drop it as a goal

Glen : 3 classes, spec writers, implementors, and end-users

Mike: dealing with the first two, not the last

?? - end-users should be able to use + compose web services

Dave H : this is a deep subject, defining the user.  Let's not go there until
we've done the drilldown...

(discussion ensues)

Mike : will draft a more detailed statement, and send it via email

- DAG0006 - security (see thread at [10])

Joe: Need to define what aspects of security are important.  Trust model
is critical part of this.  Privacy is also important, we need to define that
as well.

Yin-Leng : Message vs Transport layer definition?

Joe: Message layer = XML messages, for instance XML DSig.  Transport level
is IPSEC, HTTPS, etc.

(will discuss more via email)

- DAG0010 - using XML Technologies (see thread at [11] and [12])

DaveO: Our charter says our stuff must be XML based.

Mike: Does it really say we must use XML, or just use it where appropriate?

DaveO: It's clearly a goal that we use XML.  Might be cases when we
can't/won't, but it's a goal

Mike: We should use it to the greatest extent possible within the limits of
good sense.

DaveO: We're trying to describe what we're targeting.  With each of
these goals, there certainly may be cases where we can't meet the

Henrik: "use XML technologies" means we'll look at, but not define, these

DaveO: exact pieces will be filled in by other WGs, but the goal is for the
architecture to be based on XML

Daniel : binary objects are cases where it might not make sense

DaveH: goal to invent no new syntax?

DaveO: We can't meet all the goals at the same time.  I'm comfortable saying
"we shall use XML", and we weigh tradeoffs between the goals and the

Joe: Should use XML except where we can justify not using it, i.e. transport-
level security.


Chris: Let's aim to finalize goals by next call.

Summary of new action items

     * 20020307 ACTION: DanielA: post issues list into CVS repository and
       post pointer to it
     * 20020307 ACTION: Editors: include definition of web service and
       make it clear that it is an interim working definition and may
       change over time
     * 20020307 ACTION: Editors: include glossary definitions
     * 20020307 ACTION: DanielA: Post HTML of current requirements doc by
       EOB today
     * 20020307 ACTION: ChrisF: Annotate requirements document with names
       for each goal (see earlier action items)

   See also the list of [4]pending action items.

    Chair: Chris Ferris <chris.ferris@sun.com>
    Scribe: Glen Daniels <gdaniels@macromedia.com>


   1. http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/arch/
   2. http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/arch/#records
   3. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-arch/2002Mar/0009.html
   4. http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/arch/2/03/07-minutes#curr-ai

Hugo Haas - W3C
mailto:hugo@w3.org - http://www.w3.org/People/Hugo/ - tel:+1-617-452-2092
Received on Thursday, 14 March 2002 16:53:12 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:40:55 UTC