RE: D-AG006 Security

From: Joseph Hui <jhui@digisle.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:14:01 -0800
To: "Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)" <RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com>, "Krishna Sankar" <ksankar@cisco.com>, <www-ws-arch@w3.org>
[snip]
> Could we possibly consider putting reliable messaging into
> the security bucket?

I don't think so.  There's no security primitives that
would fit the bill of reliable messaging (RM), which I
sometimes characterize as "layer-7 TCP" where a session
between two endpoints may span over several time-serialized
connections, disconnections, reconnections.
AG006 may include securing RM, but not RM per se.

While at it, let me mention that if you want to include
RM in WS-Arch, then you may as well not leave out transaction
processing.

[snip]
> it is a natural
> progression of thought:  "I'm worried about who the author of
> the message
> is, whether it is distorted, and that IT ACTUALLY GETS THERE".
There no security primitives that can guarantee data arrival.

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless service