RE: D-AG006 Security

Thanks!

> 1. For the security terms, it would be useful to refer to
> a glossary for a consistent, unambiguous definition of terms.
> I propose we adopt RFC 2828 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2828.txt)
> as our glossary.
Agreed. Excellent suggestion!
I'll see to that the editors get this.

Anyone who wishes to object please come forward (and provide your
reasoning for objection).

> 2. You have described the techniques one may use to secure
> *any* web service usage scenario. It would be useful to see
> whether there are categories of usage scenarios where some
> specific combination of techniques will make sense.
> For example, should accessing a "weather info service,"
> be secured using authorization, authentication?
> Should the
> weather info be ensured to be authentic and unaltered?
Whether should or should not depends on the weather info
WS provider and consumer.  It'll be their choice.
We should only concern ourselves with the "can" factor --
can our WSsec ensure the weather info to be authentic and
unaltered?  By obligating ourselves to address authc, authz,
and integrity, we can say: "yes, the WS-Arch can."
Just to ensure potential skeptics who may think
the "can" is easier said then done, I'm giving concrete
answers to your two questions, replacing "should" with "can".
For the first Q, the provider needs to keep an ACL, then the
two can either use Kerberos or SSL/TLS with client
authentication to take care of the Authz part.  For
the Auchc part, use HMAC.
For the second Q, HMAC will also do nicely.

> Same questions for sending in a bill payment to a bank from
> a customer. If there are many categories, then we may see
> how to satisfy all of them in a generic way. Alternately,
> we may suggest techniques that may be generically adopted.

The use case list doesn't have to be exhaustive.
We only need exemplary cases to show the need for
addressing the security concerns being brought forward.
Hopefully someone on this mailing list would pitch in
some as we progress.  Regardless, I believe limited
empirical input will not stop us from coming up with
a well designd WSsec.

> 3. It would be good to define the "end points" of whatever
> scenarios we are securing. What are the boundaries of whatever
> we are securing?

Indeed.  I believe there are well established definitions in
existence.  We just have to scrounge for them going forward.
The endpoint has to be understood to be the WS provider and
consumer.  (There can be intermediaries, of course, which
complicate to great extent the end-to-end argument that
most security models assume.)  Boundary, or the sense of
it that calls out for Accessibility and Authorization, is
relatively less significant in WSsec than in system security.
Nonetheless, it'd be good if one can be vigorously defined for WS.

> Is it from a s/w client to the web service?

It's the WS implementer's choice, e.g. client sends
plaintext request and gets encrypted response in return.
The WSsec doesn't care.  It doesn't have to, as long as
its security semantics are complete, thus its repertoire
of security primitives -- symmetric key encryption for
bulk data, asymmetric key encryption for symmetric key
exchange and for digital signature, message digest, just
to name a few -- can be sufficient to deal with just about
the most challenging WS use case anyone may come up with.

> Or, is it from the human client to the web service provider?

The human factor should be kept to a minimum, say confining
human involvement in WS endpoints to no more than private
key storage/retrieval, e.g. a system administrator may be
needed to type in a password to retrieve and decrypt an
encrypted private key needed for public key ciphers during
a WS server start-up.

Cheers,

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless service