RE: D-AG0009; Semantic Web & Web architecture

From: Champion, Mike <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 16:47:12 -0700
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

So, how should 9 relate to 11 then? I guess 11 is the Web as it is today, 9
relates to the abstract model of the Web promulgated by the W3C?

Also, is "machine automation" part of our mission?  One can agree it's a
good thing, and certainly related to whatever we mean when we say that a web
service is about the web being processable by machines, not just humans.
But we don't want to set the bar too high: web services  enable hard-coded
programs to communicate via the web (much as they can with DCOM or CORBA
over LANs), whereas the semantic web is about enabling more flexible,
data-driven, and "intelligent" use of the data on the web, no?