RE: Let us clothe the Emperor in Blue Jeans (was: Emperor has no clothes (Observations on the Web Services Definition)

Krishna,

Good to see your comments. Let me state first some commonly
held ideas before I respond to your question on what is infrastructure.

I believe what the Web Services "movement" (if one may call it so)
has made the notion of "service integration" a mainstream, or at least
fashionable with analysts. If one were to speculate on the genesis of
web services, one can see how the deficiencies of application
integration done through CORBA/DCOM from B2B perspective
led to the service integration. I will not try to peel onions
on which community came up with the idea, etc.

My assertion (again, not very original) is that both business integration
community and semantic integration community would find service integration
useful.
Since W3C is the pre-eminent body on everything web, and we are the WS-A
team,
it would possibly behoove us to define infrastructure as the most common
denominator within service integration that serves both communities.

It is my understanding that WS-A is a steering committee and not a "real
work"
committee - so I am unsure of the benefit of my following statements, except
to do
some "broad-brushing." I also hesitate to be dogmatic, but in the interest
of clarity, I would say
the following would be in the WS-A scope and what would fall outside.
Outside doesn't mean "out" - only that the build-out is not WS-A
responsibility,
we may suggest ideas to whomsoever bodies.

Fundamentally, a web service is an entity that us uniquely identifiable on
the web, independently describable,
and that can be interacted with from web services or entities (note, I avoid
s/w in consideration for the emergence of humanoid agents that have URIs
instead of ears/eyes)

Intermediaries - yes - a definition would help "indirect" service
interactions.
Specification of routing across intermediaries would be helpful. Limited
specification
of reliability would be helpful. Some generic specifications of security may
be (end-to-end
security is business specific). Besides security specification should not
disable
the semantic integration efforts.
Eventually, the consumers of the products of the W3C activity should make
the
ultimate call on whether the spec from W3C hurts them or helps them.
Over-specification
will hurt the other bodies from leveraging W3C specs. In other words,
creating
another ebXML MS should not be the goal, but what can help ebXML MS and
semantic
integration needs should be the goal.

Orchestration - no - there is a notion of business process execution and
another of
business process collaboration that interface with each other but are
mutually exclusive.
(e.g., ebXML BPSS - collaboration, BPML - process execution). Orchestration
IMHO
mixes up both ideas and gives the impression that process execution is the
same
as collaboration. Besides, it is unclear what orchestration means to
semantic integration.

Service collaboration - possibly later - From business integration point of
view, there is
merit in recognizing this idea, though I doubt WS-A would be the right forum
for furthering it - ebTWG is working on it now.
I have not thought through what this means to the semantic
integration community. Does it mean, an preferred order of inferencing
sequence (a-priori)?
Or, could it be a dynamic collaboration of ontologies for conducting a
service?
We may simply say that, yes, there is value in having services collaborate,
and let it
take shape later.

Ontologies/vocabularies - yes, a little later - I do think that when we have
a service "independently described," then surprisingly, it can be described
in some vocabularies, and ontology, crudely, is really a set of relationship
on base vocabularies. Thus, I do think within the "independent description"
axis, the next stage is the vocabularies. However, I would rather defer the
actual creation of these to the respective communities.

Now in brief, I suggest that we view web services idea hanging from
and grow through three axes:
	unique identification,  - URI/...
	independent specification, - WSDL/vocabulary/ontology
	and interaction - XMLP/intermediary/collaboration

In any case, we should start from the minimum possible
specification/definition.

With best regards,
-Suresh
Suresh Damodaran Ph.D.