Re: Back to Requirements (was RE: Web Service Definition [Was "Some T houghts ..."])

From: Christopher Ferris <chris.ferris@sun.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 14:09:09 -0500
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
<snip/>

> I think we've learned enough in the "what is a web service" discussion to
> get back to the requirements; ...

<snip/>

I agree:) However, it seems to me that there are still a couple of
unresolved points. I would therefore like to propose the following
which hopefully captures and remedies some of the concerns expressed
in this thread regarding the absence of XML in our definition.

"A web service is a software application or component identified by
a URI, whose interfaces and binding are capable of being described
by standard XML vocabularies and that supports direct interactions
with other software applications or components through the exchange of
information that is expressed in terms of an XML Infoset via
internet-based protocols".

Would this definition serve our needs while we focus our attentions
on refining our goals and requirements?

Cheers,

Chris