RE: Web Services Definition and XML

You've got it Mark.  At least side of the communication must be XML.  Very
common examples I can think of that have only one side:
- GET encoded queries returning SOAP messages
- One way SOAP HTTP Messages returning only an HTTP status code.

A further refinement is that at least one part of the communication must be
XML.  So an XML document with a binary attachment, or SOAP encoded DIME, or
SOAP with attachments all qualify.

Perhaps Hugo is on to something about the notion of the definition of XML as
the "XML family" though.  XML based where XML means whatever the W3C says
XML currently means?

Cheers,
Dave