RE: Web Service Definition [Was "Some Thoughts ..."]

I don't want to be negative, but this "definition" is IMHO useless for the
pupose of serving
as a start to define a sound web services architecture. I may be taken for
some high level marketing material, but it does not capture at all what we
all would
like to see web services as.

Take for example the stockquote "service", which we all know and love
returning, a plain
HTML page. It can be implemented as an application or component, identified
by an URI
(e.g. http://www.stockquote.org/quotes?symbol=xzy), can be described (the
URI is enough
of a description, if you wish), can be accessed by software via
internet-based protocols, and
the interaction does not necessarily require human interaction (the client
could scrape the HTML).
I could describe a similar scenario with an FTP site providing some files
with stock quotes.

I guess this is *not* what we would like to capture with a definition for
web services!

Having followed for a while the desperate discussion on this thread how to
define web services,
I came to the conclusion that it will simply not be possible to come up with
a formal definition
because there is nothing formal on which this definition could be based. Is
there a definition
for the web? Or a service? What is the definition for internet-based
protocols? What can and
what can not be described?

I suggest to narrow down the scope and define an architecture for the type
of services which
we (informally) have in mind and then it will be possible to define what a
service is relative
to this architecture.

Regards,

Dietmar Gaertner