Re: Late binding

I'll take one last stab at this.  I've explained this several different
ways, but I guess I haven't found a suitable way to convince anybody
here.  That's quite unfortunate, because this is very important.

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 11:23:00PM -0400, Sam wrote:
> Based on the WSDL I know what the input and output for the portType
> is.
>
> SOAP will help me send the input information across the wire and
> get the output information for that service.

SOAP will only help you do that if you know what method to use.

I liken the way in which the typical use of Web services work to a
guessing game.  They basically say, "pick a number, any number, and if
it's the one I'm thinking of, I'll give you something in return".  In
other words, unless you have prior information about what the number is,
you won't get anything except "sorry, pick another number".

The Web, on the other hand, assigns the number 1 to the "give you
something" operation, and everybody knows that, so there's no question
what number you'd say when you want something.  This makes it very easy
for two parties that have never met to exchange information, which is
pretty important on the Internet.