Re: Late binding

At 02:16 PM 6/27/02, Mark Baker wrote:

>This looks like a fine summary of what is capable with Web services
>technologies today.
>
>I have one question.  Which of these support two parties communicating
>something meaningful (like presenting an offer to enter into a business
>contract) without any previous communication between them taking place?

<shieldsOn>
My answer is that they all do. The binding time does not affect that
question because it doesn't change the computational power of the system.
What changes is the style of the computation and how it is encoded.

That's because send(bagofbytes) and receive(bagofbytes) is all that is
required, provided there is enough smarts already lying around to interpret
the bagofbytes. In the 21st century we've replaced bagofbytes with
(xml)doc, but that is just an encoding issue.

The various binding choices just shift the locus of where the smarts are
located, and how much of it is embodied in code vs. declarations.
Procedural semantics vs. declarative semantics is the what this debate used
to be called when I was in graduate school. The buzz words have changed
over the years, but the fundamentals have remained the same.

jeff

--
Jeff Mischkinsky                    jeff.mischkinsky@oracle.com
Consulting Member Technical Staff   +1(650)506-1975 (voice)