Late binding

Hi Roger,

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 12:46:46PM -0700, Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler) wrote:
> I'm not sure why you think that early binding is such a bad thing.  In many
> instances late binding is a bad thing for various practical reasons.  I
> myself tend to avoid late binding if I possibly can.  This is not just me --
> it is an accepted architectural principle in our company's development
> community, and I believe that there are other companies with similar views.
>
> Actually, I don't think that a discussion of whether early or late binding
> is a "good" or "bad" thing is likely to be very productive.  I think that
> both are necessary and both must be supported.  I would be very, very
> resistant to a suggestion that early binding should somehow be forbidden or
> made impossible.  If you feel that supporting late binding is critical I
> won't argue with you -- as long as you leave my early binding alone.

For sure.

But just so you know my position, late binding is absolutely required
for Internet scale services, primarily because the coordination costs of
early binding are prohibitive between parties that don't already know
one another (and have a trusted relationship in which they can exchange
information about their services).

You can observe this with any SOAP 1.1 based service.  If I come
across some WSDL, where I had no previous knowledge of that service,
then I can't use the service.

Contrast this with the Web; if I come across a HTTP URI, I know that I
can interact with the resource using HTTP's methods.