From: Damodaran, Suresh
To: 'Katia Sycara'; Alan Davies; Hao He; 'Hugo Haas '; www-ws-arch@w3.org
Sent: 6/22/02 6:25 AM
Subject: RE: D-AC007 & D-AC007.1: "Reliable" architecture

Here is a thought FWIW:
I think of reliability in this context as the "what"  - we want
"reliable architecture"
The "how" to achieve reliability consists of different things, as Hao
lists below, and I had earlier championed [1].

Because we have a "no duplication" rule applied to  the CSFs and Reqs in
the document, we are unable to multiply list all those things
that can be done to make architecture reliable. Now we are just left
with items that deal with precise and unambiguous
definition. So, I do hear why some of you want to call it "precise and
ambiguous/well-defined."

I do, however, think that doing this will remove the notion of how we
intend to achieve a "reliable architecture" from the document.
Please consider the following solution as an alternative.

Refer to other related CSFs in the document from 7.x and say that those
also are required to make a "reliable architecture":
i.e., add AR007.3 to AC007

AR007.3  Reliability of Web Service Architecture is enabled by AC00xx
(we can fill in this if you agree on the solution)

On the other hand, if we all agree that we don't need to say "WSA is
reliable," then we can do what you suggest.
But, I am hopeful that is not what you want.

cheers,

-Suresh
Sterling Commerce

[1]  <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Apr/0016.html>