Re: Why GET is an application semantic

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 00:07:28 -0400
To: Joseph Hui <Joseph.Hui@exodus.net>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

Hi Joe,

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 07:52:28PM -0700, Joseph Hui wrote:
> [GET] http://nasdaq.org/get?what=quotes&type=stock&symbol=sunw

What does "get" help identify in that URI?  What if I want to invoke PUT
on that URI, do I still need the "get"?

URIs and HTTP work together when HTTP provides the methods, and URIs
provide the identifying information.  As soon as you try and make
one do the job of the other, you run into all sorts of problems.

A URI is like an object reference.  It's just a pointer.

> I tend to read the HTTP GET as a protocol-intrinsic method upon
> which application semantics can be freely built (by app developers).
> Am I "web-arch'ly incorrect" in this regard?

'fraid so. 8-(

Would you consider building application semantics on top of
getStockQuote()?  If so, what would that look like?  I've used this
example before, to show how odd that would look;

String weather = getStockQuote( "getWeather( 'Ottawa' )" );

That's called tunneling.