life cycle of a web service

From: Jan Oetting <Jan.Oetting@web.de>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 08:40:03 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

Hi,
maybe this question is to implementation specific for this mailing
list; excuse me in this case;

There is no real information about a life cycle of a web-Service in the net and in the literature.
I can only find life cycle information normal servlets or asp.net pages
Is it the same?

What I especially need to know is, when does a web-Service die? After a timeout ?(if so, how can I configure the timeout?)
can I destroy a web-Service-process  manually?

Or after each response? No, because I can modifiy one variable in one request and access it in the next.

It seems, that a web-Service shouldn't calculate or shouldn't contain to much logic. If I need more complex logic,
or if I need a program indepedent from client requests, have I to store the logic in an external program and access the
logic via Ports or RPC-mechanism like COM?

I would appreciate some information about that...
Greetings
Jan

--
Gre sendet