RE: A viewpoint on harvesting REST

One of the problems with this simplistic view of Web services is that it avoids the issue of mapping to the underlying executable programs that implement the Web services.  How can we possibly define the relationship of security context, transaction context, or process flow context to SOAP messages and WSDL descriptions without understanding or specifying the relationship between these things and existing (or new) application programs?

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Hapner [mailto:mark.hapner@sun.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 5:07 AM
To: ws-arch-public
Subject: Re: A viewpoint on harvesting REST

Providing an web service RPC 'ease of use' client binding for GET and
POST HTTP messages is fairly easy to do. Soap 1.2 is already doing this
for GETs that return Soap messages.

SOAP is a messaging technology with RPC layered over it as a style. With
the doc literal binding, client tools already have to 'dig' to present
an RPC view of what amounts to generic XML fragment.

RPC as a web service style will not be lost if web services is expanded
to support the existing web.