Re: CORBA, specific/generic

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:43:03 -0400
To: Martin Chapman <martin.chapman@oracle.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 11:15:45AM -0700, Martin Chapman wrote:

> That would be CORBA::Object :-)

I stopped using CORBA long before that was anything more than a
garbage collection interface. 8-O

> But *semantics* have to be specific to a component - always.
>
> The issue to resolve is how and where one learns these specifics and its
> relationship(s) to protocols and description languages.

Individual components may *behave* differently when prodded with a
generic interface, but that doesn't mean the semantics of that interface
can't be consistent.  For example, GET's semantics are defined in RFC
2616, but will return different things depending upon what the URI
identifies.